Some Links And Notes From Coyotes PracticeShareThis
I actually got off my lazy ass yesterday and attended a Phoenix Coyotes practice, inspired by the fact that USA Today asked me to write a feature on them. You can read it here, or *gasp* in the actual newspaper.
I had a great chat with their GM, Don Maloney – when I asked him if there’s a team he’d like to avoid in the playoffs, he said something along the lines of “I dunno, would you rather be shot, stabbed or hung? There’s no pushover out there.” (After some more thought, he did say they struggle most with San Jose, and would prefer to not have to deal with them in round one.)
New The Hockey News: on the four traits that great coaches share
New USA Today: Power rankings
(…..it’s been a busy week so far.)
Fun notes from Coyotes practice:
* Radim Vrbata uses a stick called a “Combat,” which apparently Dustin Brown also uses. Someone mentioned Brown might be part owner of the company? I dunno, all I know is they weren’t very pretty.
* Dave Tippett is a fairly intimidating man – not physically, he’s kind of short actually – but the dude means business. I forgot the walking-on-eggshells feeling that comes with being around a coach who’s either frustrated or in full-on competitive mode….. until yesterday.
* Most of you probably saw this when I tweeted it yesterday, but holy hell is Bryzgalov funny. He was yelling for the majority of practice, including flexing, staring at his crease and yelling “I own you! I fucking own you, goal!” in that awesome accent of his.
* Tippett’s tone was interesting – he’s not worried about getting home ice, he’s concerned with just making playoffs. Their “glue guys” are largely out due to injury, and getting points is going to be tough down the stretch. In general, him and Maloney were very honest with themselves about their team and how they have to play to win.
* Jovonovski was practicing with a full cage and looking damn good doing it. None of their other injured guys were out there yet, but Tippett thinks that after tonight’s game two or three of Fiddler/Korpikoski/Hanzal could be back.
Hope you’ll check out the columns today – I’ll provide the final links as they post!