Aimed At You, Phoenix FansShareThis
Let’s be clear on something Phoenix fans – I don’t dislike the Coyotes. I keep saying they aren’t going to do well because I don’t think they’re going to do well. I don’t like Carolina. I think your team is bad. There’s a difference.
I did my Power Rankings for USA Today… today… and I feel good about them. I’ll link to the rest of my rankings tomorrow, but for today, I’ll just run my top ten teams:
- New York Rangers
- Los Angeles
- New Jersey
* Philly dropped from second to out of my top ten this week. 5-3-1 in 9 games with a roster as impressive as theirs just continues to defy logic. Why aren’t they better?
* Phoenix crept into my top ten. I’m never quite sure if a power ranking is supposed to be “top ten seasons so far” or “top ten teams who’ll win the cup” or something totally different. I tend to think its a reflection of the season to date, with a minor bias towards those teams with more promise. And up til now, the Coyotes have had the tenth best season in the NHL (and of course, that’s judging them as a real team with no “…for the Coyotes” kicker. I bet it feels good to shed that kicker with their good start).
* Both at 6-3 in nine games, I have New Jersey ahead of Phoenix because they’re 5-0-0 on the road. 1-3 at home sucks, but five road wins makes their season to date better.
* My top five has four Eastern Conference teams. When you look at the records, it’s tough to argue – even though Buffalo has only played 8 times, it’s still impressive to only have one loss (6-1-1).
* How about some of the teams I thought would struggle in the West flying outta the gates? Phoenix, LA, and Dallas all started surprisingly well. Unfortunately, someone has to lose every time a game is played. Watch for a trend towards reality in the coming weeks.
* I realize I have Washington high again. They’re 6-2-2, and that “slight bias towards teams with promise” did it to me again. If you were the GM of a team that was a goalie away from being a legit Cup threat, wouldn’t you be making calls around the league every day? Twice a day? TO EVERY TEAM?
For hockey fans in Phoenix (and they do exist), coverage of your home boys isn’t great. Actually, coverage of hockey period isn’t great.
I have good news.
Bourne’s Blog has a new sponsor. In general, as I start adding more sponsors, I may have to lie to you. “Oh, I really love using Glidden paint, and you should too”. “When I score goals, I do it using Hammertime’s double-shafted lead sticks – it’s got a built-in cup holder!”. But this one is no lie - Cactus Jack’s bar is awesome.
With more than 15 flat screens, the NHL package, TSN and CBC… if you wanna see a game covered at all, or better than Versus does it, it’s at 4747 Elliot Road by the Safeway in Ahwatukee. Good food and cheap drinks. And I mean cheap. And though it’s not my cup of tea, they have three pool tables, Golden Tee, all the good bar staples.
So, here’s what I’m thinkin Phoenix fans.
You hate me. That’s fine. But lots of you hit my site everyday, I have that sort of technology that exposes you, believe it or not.
This Saturday, let’s go watch Hockey Night in Canada. Let’s talk hockey. Let’s hash this out. I’m just trying to get a feel for this idea, so you can comment on here or write me an email, whatever. My new sponsor wins, and I get to actually get to know you. Thankfully, while drinking.
How many of you would want to watch some hockey on a million-inch (give or take) with real commentators with me? We’ll even put the Phoenix game on an adjacent TV, and I won’t make any smart-ass remarks (everyone who already knows me in person just spit water on their monitors). You in?